Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 17: Body Appreciation

For our next challenge, we are going to work on cultivating the habit of being thankful for the gift of our body. An attitude of gratitude is important in all aspects of our lives including our perception of our own body. Those with unhealthy body images have an increased risk of depression, eating disorders, an obsession with comparing your body to others, low self esteem, and anxiety. Take a moment every day to acknowledge some of the many things your body is doing for you. Every second of every day, your heart is pumping blood for you, your body is facilitating the movement it takes for you to do the things you enjoy every day and it is keeping you safe. Here is a fantastic handout from the National Eating Disorder Association which gives ideas on how you can foster a better body image:

1 comment:

  1. I love this habit! I saved the article on my hard drive to refer to when my girls are older. I could definitely draw from it then and even now. I do love many things about my body, but after having kids and being stretched out I have to dig a little deeper for loving my new mommy figure. -Megan

    ReplyDelete