Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 11: Cultivate Friendships

Sometimes it is sadly true in my life, that the busier I get, the less effort I put into maintaining and strengthening friendships. This is backwards. Friends are an important part of our health- emotional and also physical. Friends come in all forms and the more we can surround ourselves with the happier our lives will be. I am so lucky to have had the influence of amazing, wonderful friends in my life. They have encouraged me to be physically active, listened to me talk out the stressful issues I am dealing with, introduced me to beautiful art, music, food etc. They have celebrated happy days with me and mourned with me during sad ones. My life is rich because of the people who have shared their lives with me.

This article http://www.glassmanpsyd.com/benefits-of-social-support/ states "the more friends women had, the less likely they were to develop physical impairments as they aged, and the more likely they were to be leading a joyful life. In fact the results were so significant, the researchers concluded, that not having close friends or confidantes was as detrimental to your health as smoking or carrying extra weight!"

Okay everyone, if you are lacking on friends- (and who couldn't use a few more?) schedule in time daily to cultivate your friendships. Set an exercising date, e mail or call, plan lunch or shopping, and don't feel guilty! It's for your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment