Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 13: Sugar -How low can you go?

Okay!!! This is BIG. Any truly healthy person, has a healthy relationship with sugar (aka not addicted.) According the the American Heart Association, the average American consumes around 22 teaspoons of sugar every day. A healthy person should consume no more than 6. When looking at nutrition labels, sugar is measured in grams. According to wiki-answers "One teaspoon of granulated white sugar is equal to about 4.2 grams." This means your favorite soft drink probably has somewhere around 10 teaspoons of sugar!

For the rest of this month, work on trying to keep your sugar intake low -no more than 6 teaspoons or 25 grams per day. Replace desserts with fruit (remember most are high in antioxidants), drink a glass of water when you are craving sugar treats, put reminder pictures on your fridge and do whatever it takes.

Readers Digest had an article with many great ideas on keeping sugar low. Read it here: http://www.rd.com/health/lower-your-sugar-intake/


2 comments:

  1. I have always avoided this part of healthy living. I have a huge sweet tooth and have always been afraid of failure, but here we go! I will try! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! That is why I said this habit was BIG! A big deal for me. If I could overcome my sugar addiction, everything else is all downhill for me.

    ReplyDelete