Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 14: Sit and Savor!


I don't know about you Gina, but maybe we should have called this blog The ULTIMATE Healthy Habit Challenge! I am starting to feel the pain of change and sacrifice, but no pain no gain right?

Day 14's challenge is to try to sit at the table to eat. Here is a quote I found in a recent article regarding healthy habits:

"You should always eat at the table. This prevents you from trying to engage in multi-tasking, such as surfing the Net, watching television, or flipping through magazines while you eat. At the table, you'll be forced to concentrate on how much food you are putting into your mouth. If you eat anywhere else, you may lose track of how much food you are consuming."

I am really excited for this habit. I find myself throughout the day taking little bites here and there of everything. I am realizing that those little bites do add up. This habit will go great with tracking the amounts of healthy foods we are eating (like our sugar intake).

Here is another reason why sitting at the table is important:

Family Mealtimes - The Importance of Eating Together


Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. Megan- I attended a women's meeting at our church a few years ago where the subject was the benefits of eating together as a family. The speaker gave us a handout quoting a study done by the National Center for Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University in 2007. There were 13 MAJOR benefits including children less likely to have eating disorders, improves the vocabulary in children, increases the amount of nutrients everyone gets, civilizes children-manners, sharing cultural norms. Thank you for the great reminder. I do okay with this habit sometimes, but would like to do much better.

    ReplyDelete