Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 21: Omega-3

This habit may smell a little fishy at first, but the more I have read about omega -3 fatty acids, the more convinced I am that this is a habit worth working at. So....hope ya like fish! There are other ways to incorporate the habit of eating a diet with sufficient omega 3 fatty acids, but it will be more difficult. Omega-3 fatty acids are unsaturated fatty acids considered essential for optimum health. Research has shown people with diets rich in omega 3 fatty acids have a reduced amount of fat in their blood and lower triglycerides, which helps lower their risk for heart disease. It has also been found to be necessary for proper brain, eye, and nerve development. Our bodies gets omega- 3 primarily from cold water fish such as salmon, tuna, and halibut but it is also available in foods such as flax seed and nut oils. The American Heart Association recommends a minimum of two servings of fish per week. Good luck everyone and Go Fish!

2 comments:

  1. Hubby and I planned just last night to have fish for dinner tonight! I love fish! I think I am going to incorporate a fish night into my menu planning so at least once a week we are getting our Omega-3's! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fish also, but need to do better at cooking it for my family. We don't eat it nearly enough!

    ReplyDelete